Homeschooling and Libraries

Things I'm thinking about and learning while working with homeschoolers and writing Helping Homeschoolers in the Library for ALA Editions.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Auction Site

I'm a little bit behind on this, but the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA, a conservative Protestant organization that believes gay marriage would be a potential threat to families' ability to homeschool their children -- see #9, especially interesting given the number of homosexual couples who homeschool their children, but I digress) has started an auction site specifically for homeschoolers where people can buy and sell used and new homeschooling materials. Anyone can sell, but only HSLDA members can buy, which I don't get. From an organizational standpoint, it would seem to make more sense to make either everyone or no one become members, but, then again, I don't run an organization with thousands of members. :) The HSLDA folks know what they're up to.

I gather this move is in response to eBay's refusal to allow the sale of teaching items that contain answer keys, another policy I don't understand. On the one hand, we don't want kids cheating, but, on the other, eBay shouldn't have to be the cheater police. There are plenty of legitimate reasons people might want to buy and sell teacher editions of books and whatnot. Sad, sad.

It's worth noting that Amazon sells used homeschooling materials via their Homeschooling Store, and there are several other places where you can swap and otherwise get your hands on used homeschooling materials. That, I think, will be a blog entry for another day....

[Update 11/4/2006: Amazon's selling policy also doesn't allow for the sale of used items that contain answer keys: "Manuals or teacher's editions that provide answer keys to student textbook editions are prohibited" (see the full policy). Interestingly enough, they do sell new workbooks and whatnot that contain answer keys in the Homeschooling Stores. Again, it seems odd to me that companies feel the need to get in the middle of this. Thanks to Maureen for pointing the amazon.com policy out. See her comment on this entry for more ideas about places to go for homeschooling materials.]

5 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Maureen Wittmann said…

    Amazon.com has the no teachers' manual rule too. "Solutions manuals. Manuals or teacher's editions that provide answer keys to student textbook editions are prohibited." Though I don't know how diligent they are in policing the policy.

    I'm not sure how to put hyperlinks in the comments, otherwise I'd put some links here for other options. If you go to my blog at http://maureenwittmann.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_maureenwittmann_archive.html and scroll down to Aug. 30th, you'll find some links to other resources for homeschoolers to buy and sell. Better than HSLDA.

    PS So happy to find your blog. I send my newest book to the publisher next week -- on teaching though literature -- and I have a chapter on homeschoolers working with their libraries.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Maureen, Thanks so much! I made note of this on the main entry. I'm glad to hear about the book, too. When does it come out?

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Maureen Wittmann said…

    I'll let you know the release date as soon as I find out. I'm emailing it off to the publisher (Ecce HomoPress) next week. Then they'll take their turn at editing and formating. It should go pretty quick if there aren't any snafus (is that a real word :-)). There's a reading list of 950 books (no, not a typo) so it's pretty tedius to edit -- but it's going to the publisher pretty clean. The cover is already done.

    Would love to hear more about your book. Have you posted about it? I hear it's about libraries reaching out to homeschoolers. Cool! The one other book, that I know of, on this topic is quite outdated and lacking in content.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Thanks for the question about the book. I liked it so much that I made the answer today's entry. :)

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Lady Liberty said…

    The thing about the no teacher manual policy is that they do not even allow manuals that are even 20 or 30 years old.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home